+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: regarding the type of lor

Default regarding the type of lor

how will u weigh those externships or obsei done under private practioners offered by private agencies against obsei from a univ hospital ??
    Is it the quality (say from a private pract or from a attending in univ hospital) of lor that matters or the type of work done ie had u done an observer job or an externship
    and those people who offer those paid extern assure that the student will be alllowed to do the job in a hospital under the attending and it is no way different from the hands on elective.
    how much is this reliable????
    pls reply

This is the sequence of importance of LoRs:

1. American national, AMG
    2. Foreigner, AMG
    3. Foreigner, IMG in US
    4. US Qualified IMG in our countries
    5. Local qualified in our countries

(Local LoRs are usually just a formality, they don't consider them seriously)

and those people who offer those paid extern assure that the student will be alllowed to do the job in a hospital under the attending and it is no way different from the hands on elective.
    how much is this reliable???
    Some of them are quite reliable, some are not. Probe in detail before you pay anyone for that.

Default certificate of good standing/dean's statement

kindly tell what should be the script of the deans statement which should be attached wid eligibility form for foundation programme..i also have to add in da statement that i ve had all my exams in english as in IELTS ive scored 7.5 but in writing i have only 7..kindly help

kindly tell what should be the script of the deans statement which should be attached wid eligibility form for foundation programme.
    What have they asked for? Deans statement regarding ur academics?

i also have to add in da statement that i ve had all my exams in english
    You can get a separate letter issued for that, on the dean's letter head... mentioning that the medium of instruction, teaching and examination was ENGLISH.

Most of the institutes issue this certificate/letter in routine.

Question LOR waiver??

if only 4 lors are to submitted to eras, is the lor from dean mandatory?
    can all the 4 be from an american attending?

if the aamc id has to be in the lor what if we get a lor bfr even we apply for aamc id

some say that the no. can be written once we get it but what if we want to waiver the right (sending the lor in a sealed envelope)??

Are there any advantages/disadvantages for waiving LOR?

is the lor from dean mandatory?
    Not necessary. It is usually a part of MSPE.

can all the 4 be from an american attending?
    Not recommended. You should have at least one or two from local faculty - to show that you had a good reputation at ur home institute. All external LoRs mean u failed to get any appreciation from home institute. Local LoRs are usually no better than trash, but still u have to have them.

if the aamc id has to be in the lor what if we get a lor bfr even we apply for aamc id
    You can add the ID later.

some say that the no. can be written once we get it but what if we want to waiver the right (sending the lor in a sealed envelope)??
    You can ask the author of the LoR to wait till u send him/her ur ID and then they can mail it in the sealed envelope.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages for waiving LOR?
    Waived LoRs are more valued as in that case the author knows that u won't be seeing it and thus gives a purely unbiased opinion of u.

thanks a ton nm

Default info regarding deans statement

This is mentioned on the site for foundation system...
    Medical School Deanís Statement - Signed, dated and stamped and completed in English, which comprises:
    a. Permission to apply
    b. Confirmation that you are of good standing at medical school and considered fit to practise medicine in accordance with UK General Medical Councilís (GMC) Fitness to Practise requirements
    c. A verifiable academic ranking (this does not apply for applications relating to the Academic Foundation Programme). (See Note E)
    d. Confirmation of whether your primary medical qualification (including instruction, examinations and a significant amount of clinical contact with patients) was/is being undertaken in English.
    kindly also tell should there be only one document stating all these or two separate documents one for academic and the other for language..thnx

They have told everything to mention... Just follow these guidelines.

And you can add the language confirmation in the same letter, or separately... it's one n the same thing. All they need is confirmation of these things... whether on a single page or on many pages.

The content could be like this:

I, the dean/principal (whatever) hereby grant permission to ___ to apply for ___. His/her academic records are... :

... mention scores/grades of all important exams/annual exams. He/she fulfils the fitness criteria of GMC to serve as a practitioner...

Academic ranking: ur rank in the last annual exam/any other ranking system used in your institute.

Language: As mentioned already in the earlier post.

thnx alt sir

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast